Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Deported...

Hello all! My name is Benji and I was the chief runner/camera operator on the production of the film S'kali. Let me first just say that serving as a chief runner/camera operator has been the best experience I have had in my entire life. The simple fact that I'm a film major myself has made this experience even sweeter as I have learned so much from the cast and crew, not to mention getting mentored by my good friend Arivind Abraham.

As for this whole episode of being deported from the United States, I must say that it has been a traumatic experience. Well, at least now, I get to spend Chinese New Year with my family. I want to thank all of those who have written in messages of encouragement. Please know that I appreciate all of them and I will continue to keep my chin up through this uncertain times.

And since we're on the topic of deportation, I guess it will be quite useful for those who are thinking about leaving for the United States to further their studies. The reason for my deportation was fairly simple. International students entering the studying in the United States are required to report to the CBP office (Customs and Border Protection) whenever a student was to leave the country. Failing which of course would result in an arrest, fine or deportation.

When I returned to Malaysia to begin work with the crew of S'kali last Christmas, I had missed my connecting flight back to Kuala Lumpur at Newark Airport New Jersey. Following that incident, I had gotten a new flight out to K.L. from Los Angeles' LAX and upon arrival I had inquired about the location of the nearest CBP office to report my deprature from the United States from an airport official. The airport official told me however, that I did not need to do that and that all they needed to do was to remove a card from my passport. He removed the card from my passport and I thought I was done with it. Unfortunately that was not the case when I landed in Minneapolis and was later deported.

After an almost 30 hour flight including transit time to the United State, I was put on the next flight out to Kuala Lumpur within the 3 hours that I had landed in the U.S. All in all I had spent almost 3 days on the plane. The experience of course has been traumatic.

My advice to those thinking of studying in the United States is to really take their immigration laws seriously and understand and know your rights as an International Visitor and as a Malaysian. Knowing your rights, unlike me, helps alot.

Anyway..thank you once again for all your messages of support and please know that I will be fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and that is why the US is a shitty place to be right now. no thanks, i'll stick to where i am.

bloody paranoid americans don't realise they caused all their own problems. they put the onus on foreigners instead. stupid.

anyway, good luck, dude!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better mr anonymous.

And Benji..just remember, we're all here for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Benji cheer up ....shit happens just that it is rather shitty that it has to happen during these times... anyway since you are around call me anytime to talk

Anonymous said...

BEEEEENNNNNJJJJJJIIIIII !!!!!

I am so very sorry son...
It must have been indeed a bitch of an experience....

Listen... Only Phil Colins has flown so much during Live Aid, with an armed guard as well ! You are not the only one boy, Believe it, Think of this as an Eddy Murphy Line "I been flying in planes for the past 47 hours lady and you re asking ME to fasten my seat belt ?!? Fuck you i am swimming to K.L."

SUPPORT TO YOU MY FRIEND,

DIMI "the taman paramount" HIPSTER