Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Writing S'kali

I recently got asked what I was using to inspire me or that I drew elements from when I was working on the script for S'kali over the past 8 years. I decided it might be cool just to add a little in regards to this on the blog.

ALMOST FAMOUS



I love "Almost Famous". The whole idea about 'coming of age' and growing up is such a powerful theme when it comes to this movie by Cameron Crowe. I remember studying this film really to source out the vibe I was seeking for S'kali.


ST. ELMO'S FIRE



This may be an obvious choice but I think you need to watch the obvious stuff to see what works for the genre and what doesn't. St. Elmo's Fire is a film that gets a lot of flak for being cheesy a lot of times, but hey, there are times in your life when stuff like that works.


STAND BY ME



Again I chose this because this is the quintessential coming of age movie. There are some stupendous performances in here from such a young cast, and I looked a lot at this movie to think about working with actors and getting the performace I wanted.

AMERICAN GRAFFITI



A much forgotten George Lucas classic (no he did not only do Star Wars and sell toys!) where the entire story is set over one night after graduation and how a bunch of mates discover that things may really have changed. A theme that constantly runs through S'kali.

So yeah, those are some of the films that have been watched by me whilst writing S'kali and hopefully you guys and gals check em' out too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why all american films only? you don't watch films from any other countries?