Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Blast To The Past

Davina says:

I was saddened to discover that one of my favorite columns in The Malay Mail was coming to an end. Lim Chang Moh, its resident movie reviewer for almost 30 years, was finally going to take a long-deserved break.

His last article was however a nostalgic surprise. He made a mention of The Young Reviewers Column, a side project which involved youths, handpicked by Mr. Lim himself, trying their hand at film critique. Invitations to movie previews were to be repaid via contribution of opinion, all of which would be compiled to offer an all-rounded review on one featured movie each week. Being a not-so-impactful college kid with journalistic aspirations, it was a pride and privilege to see my byline in a national publication.

There were a few names whom I was consistently on the look-out for in terms of outstanding style. As fantastic masters of the English language they were, I held a burning desire to write like them, if not topple their thrones of eloquence. A gist of their reviews were often featured as the main headline.

How I yearned to have my headline there too. How I fought to be numero uno. And it seemed that these two buggers had me with their fingertips pressed onto the middle of my forehead, my fists swinging at them just beyond reach.

Unbeknownst to me until December 2005, I was now looking up to them as heroes in all respects.

"My greatest joy as a columnist was compiling the Shakey's Young Reviewer's Column which ran from January 2000 to 2002. I had learnt a lot from these youngsters and some of them - Arivind Abraham, Davina Goh and Jason Lim - are making a loval movie called S'kali which will be released soon."
- Lim Chang Moh, The Malay Mail, 27th April 2006

See if you can find us :P

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope mr. Lim enjoys the coming years. I am sure he will make the most of it. I had the pleasure of meeting him, and his initiative for the "young reviewers" project demonstrates how such things get talents started in various fields.
Also i really enjoyed chatting with him as our views are totally different, and it was a pleasure having him on set.

All the best,

Dimitris

Lim Chang Moh said...

Hi Davina and Dimitris,
Thank you both from the bottom of my heart.
FYI, the MM Young Reviewers Column was born in 2000 when my old UM college pal George Ting popped into my office and asked if the MM and his company, Shakeys Pizza, could work together in mutual interest. George was a former boss of KFC then, and he had supported by column since the early 80s, offering prizes for the MM Top 10 Movies Poll. He loved the idea of getting the youngsters involved in writing. I was overwhelmed by the response. These guys and gals were not only interested in movies, they write well and honestly too. It was a joy to have worked with you all, Davina. And I can't wait to see how you fared in S'kali.
And yes, Dimitris, I had cherished your 'totally different views' when we chatted (last Christmas?) abt Narnia and King Kong. After all these years, I might have become jaded about certain aspects of film-making and it is refreshing to know the views of the young people like yourself. After all, you all are the people who keep the cinema industry afloat.
Did you guys see Gubra? I had reviewed it (on my blog too) but I am sad to learn that it did not do well at the b-o. I am sure Yasmin will recover her costs but it will take some time.
OK for now, all the best to your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Lim,

it is always a pleasure to hear from you.
I of course have not had the chance to see Gubra, but my dear friends keep me posted on Malaysian film.
I really enjoyed the (censored) version of Sepet we watched at the charity screening.
I can't believe it's been 6 months already since our christmas chats !
I of course remember Malaysia more and more every day.
Please keep us posted on all your projects,
I wish you all the best,

Dimitris Kotselis, Athens

Lim Chang Moh said...

Hi Dimitris, Davina, Arivind, et al,
You can check out my review of Gubra on my blog at limchangmoh.blogspot.com and maybe put in your comments therein. My column in the Malay Mail may have been stopped but I have not stopped watching and reviewing movies. I have also posted the review of M:I:3 and Poseidon recently.
Other than this preoccupation, I have been taking things easy, catching up on my sleep and doing Soduku. And contrary to what Arivind thinks, I have not been going fishing or golfing. At least not yet. I an kind of getting to enjoy lazing around but I hope I won't fall into a rut. Thanks for your concern and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Mr Lim,
No worries, I am always checking in on your blog to see what's you word on what's out. As for fishing, you should try and grab a hold of the movie "Gone Fishin" with Danny Glover and Joe Pesci. It is real good fun!

No worries, enjoy relaxing for the mo and I bet sooner or later you will be well up and ready to tackle some hobbies and maybe even some new endeavours you always wanted to try.

As for S'kali, edit slowly wrapping up. Things have been quiet on the blog as we are gunning to launch the website within the coming few days. We got hijacked by some tech bugs.

Anonymous said...

dude, you need to keep the momentum going! ever since all that press blitz the last time, things have quieten down considerably. create some buzz!


The Visitor

disco-very said...

Hi Mr. Lim,
Thanks for reading my entry and providing background info on how it started. The Column was a refreshing breakaway from the usual tests & assignments. It was disheartening to find out that one of my peers was caught committing blatant plagiarism but it was a lesson which everyone had learned well from and it far from dampening spirits.
I've been checking out your blog, it's good to know you're taking things easy now and that you're still doing what you do best!

Anonymous said...

I still have copies of the 5 or so reviews I managed to write before the column stopped :) My family always appreciated the free pizzas!

Good memories :)